About the Lodge
The Madikwe Game Reserve
In the early 1940’s the Marico district was declared the poorest province in South Africa. Thus the Parks Board decided to create the Madikwe Game Reserve, situated in a malaria free area, not only to conserve the fauna and flora, but also to provide a sanctuary to visitors from afar, as well as a more favorable environment to the local people.
At the edge of the Marico River and under a grove of Tamboti and Marula trees alike, you will find yourself enchanted by a world of intrigue and majestic beauty. Madikwe Hills is where the plains still team with game and the acacia savannah symbolizes a paragon of beauty. Black rhino roam freely amongst the big 5 – Giraffe gallop across the plains at sunset and zebra call out to one another in the early hours of the morning, after enduring a night of the “savage beast” upon the plains – lion.
Traversing over 75,000 hectares of true, untamed Africa and set in magnificent koppies amongst boulders, Madikwe Hills gently ebbs to the pulse of Africa’s drumbeat – The luxurious suites are ingeniously placed amongst the boulders. The unusual, yet subtle décor integrates natural elements with colours highlighting Africa’s ambiance.
After a mere 45 minute flight from Gauteng, or a scenic four hour drive, you will be met by our warm and friendly staff in the main reception area. It is here where you can select gifts for your friends and family back home from our curio shop, which boasts a breath-taking view of the boulders and rocks of Madikwe Hills – open landrovers with bucket seats and fold-down armrests stand ready to take you on safari. Your knowledgeable ranger with his friendly disposition, will ensure that your experiences are not but a “whisper on the winds of a timeless eternity”.
The accommodation consists of only ten ultra-luxurious glass-fronted suites each with their own verandah and private plunge pool, ingeniously placed amongst the boulders. Your suite has been designed for complete relaxation and comfort, each boasting soft sofas, voluptuous mosquito netting and cotton picot linen. Overhead fans and air-conditioning are a welcome respite from the harshness of the African heat. Salute the timelessness of Africa with a gin & tonic from your fully stocked mini bar.
For the energetic Madikwe Hills offers a fully equipped gym and health spa. For the businessman, internet connection! Children of all ages are most welcome and are accommodated with their own game activities and where needed, Nannies can be arranged to baby sit.
A library full of verse and history awaits those yearning for knowledge of the African continent. Fables of Scorpio and Orion may be told by your ranger of Greek mythology, whilst dining in a rustic boma where dramatic and exotic flames dance to the uneven beat of life’s drum. Perhaps you will discover the navigational skills of the Southern Cross before dining in the sophistication of silverware. Breakfast on the deck is an absolute must!
All this and so much more Madikwe Hills...
>> To see where Madikwe River Lodge is in relationship to all the other lodges in Madikwe click here
>> Click here to download a pdf document with directions to Madikwe Hills
Transfers can be arranged from within South Africa and from Botswana.
These can be booked through us.
There is a scheduled Federal Air flight that flies in and out of the Reserve daily. Should you wish to charter a plane to suit your own time frame this can be arranged through Madikwe Charters.
- From ORT international get on the R21 towards Pretoria up to the Exit to the N1 Polokwane (about 37km).
- Get onto the N1 towards Polokwane and continue up to the N4 Rustenburg slipway (about 22km). Take the slipway onto the N4 towards Rustenburg (this is just after the Zambezi drive offramp).
- Once on the N4 continue in the direction of Rustenburg – take exit #225 which is the R556 Sun City/Majakaneng. (About 64km)
- Turn right at the top of the off ramp to Sun City and continue straight to Sun City (approx 73 km's to Sun City from this off ramp). After passing Sun City on the right, continue straight (approximately 5 km) until you reach a four-way junction .
- Turn right to DERDEPOORT.
- Follow the road for approximately 8.5 km's and turn left at the sign saying, "BAPONG" and "Madikwe Game Reserve".
- Continue straight along this road for approximately 34.8 km's (ignoring ALL signs saying "MADIKWE") after passing through MABESKRAAL at the 4 way stop turn right to DERDEPOORT/Molatedi Gate.
- After 26kms the road will become gravel/dirt, the Dwarsberg Liquor Store will be on your left. Watch out for a "bump" as the tar ends.
- Continue straight along this road for about 32 km of gravel, (do not take the next Derdepoort turning to the right, continue straight), passing through the Molatedi village over the Marico River and straight to the MOLATEDI GATE entrance into the Park.
- Once through the gate, carry on straight for about 10km until you find a sign post on your left – turn RIGHT towards Derdepoort gate. After 539m, you'll find a T-junction – turn RIGHT onto Derdepoort Main Road – towards Derdepoort Gate. Carry on straight on this road.
- Continue for 10.6km and you will find another sign board on the right at a four way crossing. Continue towards Derdepoort Gate.
- The road will split immediately after the last sign board. Keep right on the well travelled road and drive around the dam until the road becames long and straight again.
- If you continue on you will find another sign board on your left indicating Molori and Madikwe Safari lodge to the right.
- Continue to the next sign board shortly thereafter on your right hand side (5.2km). This sign will indicate "Madikwe Hills / Etali / Ukuthula". Turn left towards Madikwe Hills.
- Continue straight on until you will find the final sign board indicating "Madikwe Hills / Etali / Ukuthula" to the left. Keep left and continue on. • Drive pass Ukuthula entrance and Etali Entrance & after 2.4km turn left towards "Madikwe Hills".